It’s Friday! Time for another ‘tru-ish’ tale about Colfax and the Mile High City. A new 30 MILES OF CRAZY! (#45)! This week: Casa Bonita… or… NO, SOUTH PARK DID NOT MAKE IT UP. IT ACTUALLY EXISTS!
A few thoughts on Casa Bonita.
- It actually exists, down in Lakewood CO, along West Colfax.
- It is a Denver institution, where most of the population has been there at least once.
- While there were once several Casa Bonita restaurants in different states, the one in Denver is the last one (opening in 1974.)
I have been there and can say that I’m not a fan. Reasons being….
- It’s kind of like a large Mexican Chuck E. Cheese on acid. Prepare your brain.
- While there are many attractions to the place and hidden nooks and corners to be found, as a restaurant you have to purchase a meal (they are a business after all.) Some people do enjoy the food there, while I always felt that the daily fare their makes Taco Bell look like haute cuisine.
- Everyone that I know that adores Casa Bonita (getting that cultist wide eyed glaze in their eyes at the mere mention of the establishment) falls into two camps (or more than likely, a mixture of the two): happy rose colored memories of a place they have been going there since they were children or because of the massively high camp factor (which it has in spades.)
- If I remember correct, it does serve booze. You will need it. Your brain will be overloaded, your liver will hate you, but you will survive.
I’ll let the comic say the rest. This is all just scratching the surface of the Lynchian weirdness that permeates the walls of this place. Don’t believe me? Here’s a small video about Casa Bonita that I found.
… and yes, my buddy does wear a fez.